Hermeneutical Analysis of the Film Dead Poets Society
Authors: Olga Gorbatkova, Anastasia Levitskaya
Number of views: 385
The article is devoted to hermeneutical analysis of the film Dead Poets Society (1989, directed by Peter Weir). Reviews of Russian and foreign film critics are included into the analysys. The author presents the historical, ideological, political, social and cultural contexts, that influenced the film production; the main characters, the narrative structure and techniques used by the media text's producers.
Interpreting the results of hermeneutical analysis of the film Dead Poets Society the authors come to conclusion that:
– the media text clearly shows the main trends of the state policy in the educational, social and cultural fields;
– the plot does not directly reflect the important events in the political life of the country, but there is a certain trace. Socio-political, economic objectives, ideological upbringing, religious education to varying degrees are reflected in the storyline of the media text (fundamental values are family, religion, love, loyalty, justice, generosity, kindness, mutual assistance, ability to take responsibility for actions, etc.);
– the plot is immersed in the educational process, only slightly touches on love themes and is absolutely devoid of sex scenes;
– the media text's concept is: socio-moral struggle (for personal happiness, love, truth, right for self-identification, freely express one's thoughts and ideas, etc.); confrontation against teachers' dullness, conservatism, bureaucratic approach;
– this media text gives the idealized image of the teacher: intellectual, competent, respectful communicator of humanistic moral values and norms of behavior;
– students' activity is centered around education and self-identity;
– this media text promotes the humanistic ideal of a romantic character, attractive for the high moral and human qualities;
– the film's authors present a strict social distance between teachers and students; unwavering authority and respect for the teacher, the prestige of the teaching profession in the eyes of students.