Epizootic situation on animal rabies in the Northern and Western regions of Ukraine
Authors: A. Danilchenko, V. Nedosekov
Number of views: 421
One of the most significant infectious diseases of animals in the territory of Ukraine is rabies. In Ukraine, a significant number of outbreaks of this disease are recorded among animals of different species, namely wild carnivores, domestic and farm animals. The greatest number of cases is observed in wild carnivores. Flash of rabies in Ukraine are observed almost throughout the territory.
In the article, the cases of rabies in the territory of Northern and Western Ukraine are analyzed. Despite all methods of control, vaccination, control of wild and stray animals, cases of a rabies disease still occur. The article contains information about the spread of rabies in the northern regions of Ukraine, namely: Zhytomyr region, Rivne region, Volyn region, Lviv region, Ternopil region, Khmelnytsky region, Chernivtsi region, Ivano-Frankivsk region, Zakarpattia region in 2008–2016.
On the territory of Northern and Western Ukraine over the past nine years a significant number of cases of animal rabies have been recorded. Most cases — 30 % of the nine regions of Ukraine are recorded in the Khmelnytsky region, and 22 % in the Zhytomyr region. These percentages show that among the nine regions of northern Ukraine, Khmelnytsky and Zhytomyr regions have a tense epizootic situation for rabies in animals, they account for a large number of cases of rabies — 52 % meanwhile in the remaining seven regions there are only 48 %. It is noted that an epizootic situation of rabies in analyzed regions is unstable, it is characterized by periodic ups and downs of tension.
A comparative analysis has been carried out for all nine years, where the numbers of registered rabies animals are presented in the form of data that are divided into three groups — with low, medium and high epizootic status.